Friday, June 17, 2011
Felt ridiculously good to get back up in the River Gods DJ booth last night, especially with Jay from Clicky Clicky as my co-pilot. Trading hour-long slots, we hosted what will hopefully be the first of many "New Music Nights", playing nuthin' but recently-released (and some not-yet-released) songs from a mix of local and national bands. Best part about it (aside from forcing people to listen to my personal faves) was getting to sit at the bar and listen while Jay spun his ace selections. As much as we have in common, taste-wise, our playlists had just two artists in common (both from Boston), and they were different songs at that. Head over to Clicky Clicky for his list.
My own is essentially a "faves of the year so far" list, filled out with new material from some Boston-area bands (Boy Without God, Cuffs, Plumerai, Buffalo Tom, WALLcreeper, Pretty & Nice, The Hush Now, The Diamond Mines), a few very-new live treats (Ted Leo, Allo Darlin', Morrissey), and some vinyl-only tracks from April's Record Store Day (New Pornographers, Nada Surf, Wild Flag). Most of the descriptions below include links to where you can buy the releases these songs come from, or go stream/download the songs themselves. Here you go...
NEW MUSIC NIGHT vol. 1
Thursday, June 16th, 2011
at River Gods in Cambridge, MA
co-hosted by DJs Brad Almanac & Jay Clicky Clicky
Set One / 9-10pm
01. Ted Leo - "The Little Smug Supper Club"
live solo performance for Room 205
02. Buffalo Tom - "Down"
from their latest album, "Skins"
03. The Hush Now - "The Athiest"
single from the brand new remaster/remix of their "Constellations" LP
04. Wye Oak - "Holy Holy"
from their third album, "Civilian"
05. Apex Manor - "I Know These Waters Well"
from the debut LP, "The Year Of Magical Drinking"
06. Allo Darlin' - "Europe"
the eventual title track of their next album
live on WMBR's "Breakfast of Champions", 6/10/11
07. Plumerai - "Trip"
from the new 2-song "NY-Trip '11" release
08. Boy Without God - "City Kids"
From "God Bless The Hunger", out June 21st, 2011
09. WALLcreeper - "Lazy Stares"
from the "Second Sight" EP
10. Pretty & Nice - "Yonkers"
from the "Fantastic Artifact" 7-inch
11. Sam Roberts Band - "Longitude"
from new album "Collider" / with co-vocalist Elizabeth Powell (Land of Talk)
12. Death Cab For Cutie - "Doors Unlocked and Open"
From "Codes and Keys"
13. Wild Flag - "Future Crimes"
From their debut 7-inch single
14. Nada Surf "You're Going To Miss The Wood"
demo version from a Record Store Day 7-inch
15. The New Pornographers - "A Drug Deal Of The Heart"
B-side from the Record Store Day "Moves" 7-inch
Set Three / 11pm-midnight
16. The Joy Formidable - "The Greatest Light Is The Greatest Shade"
from "The Big Roar" LP
17. Mogwai - "George Square Thatcher Death Party"
from their "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will" LP
18. Explosions In The Sky - "Trembling Hands"
from the "Take Care, Take Care, Take Care" LP
19. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - "Tomorrow Dies Today"
bonus track from the Japanese version of the "Belong" LP
20. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - "Same Mistake"
preview track from "Hysterical", due out Sept. 20th, 2011
21. Morrissey - "The Kid's A Looker"
premiered during a June 2011 BBC live session
22. Dum Dum Girls - "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
Smiths cover from the "He Gets Me High" EP
23. Under Electric Light - "Take Me Away"
from the "Waiting For The Rain To Fall" LP
24. The Drums - "The New World"
iTunes-only benefit song for Japan
25. Let's Whisper - "The Shortest Days"
title track from their debut full-length
26. The One AM Radio - "An Old Photo of Your New Lover"
from the "Heaven Is Attached By A Slender Thread" LP
27. Cuffs - "Privilege"
from their debut 7-inch
28. Brave Irene - "River To The Sea"
from their self-titled debut EP
29. Centro-Matic - "Only In My Double Mind"
from the "Candidate Waltz" LP, due out 6/21/2011
30. The Diamond Mines - "Time Flies"
from their self-titled debut LP
31. The Wooden Birds - "Baby Jeans"
from their brand new "Two Matchsticks" LP
32. Low - "You See Everything"
from the "C'Mon" LP (y'know, the one with the gorgeous album cover)
33. David Bazan - "Don't Change"
from the "Strange Negotiations" full-length
34. The National - "Think You Can Wait"
from the "Win Win" soundtrack and their new 7-inch
Go check out Jay's playlists at Clicky Clicky
live in cambridge, ma
on november 14th, 2008
previously: joy formidable - boston 2011
recent posts on the 'nac...
on the nightstand
boston-area music bloggers
boston music media