bradley's almanac - a boston-based music blog
navigate the 'nac
almanac mp3 archives almanac shared mp3 archive
live show photo archive boston-area live shots on flickr
'my life or some dream'
original mp3 compilation

free mp3 compilation on club fub
bands i've been in bands i've played drums in
the 'nac faq & contact info
contact info and more
the 'nac on the 'net
the almanac rss feed
subscribe to my rss feed
follow me on twitter the almanac twitter account
become a fan on facebook the 'nac on facebook
the almanac tumblr page bradley's tumblanac
hype machine 'nac page the almanac hype machine page
the almanac soundcloud page the almanac shuffler page
the 'nac songkick gig page the almanac songkick gig page
almanac events on sponty the almanac sponty events page
the almanac last.fm page the almanac last.fm page
listen to 'nac mp3s on shuffler the almanac shuffler page


the almanac archives


search the 'nac

recommended boston area events

tuesday, december 4th

kelly hogan

@ johnny d's


thursday, december 6th

conor oberst

@ converse hall, tremont st.


thursday, december 6th

jason isbell &

the 400 unit

@ the sinclair


friday, december 7th

the weisstronauts 14th

annual holiday jubilee

with guests tsunami of sound

preacher jack, & the derangers

@ the midway cafe, jp


friday, december 7th

caspian

moving mountains

o'brother

@ the sinclair


saturday, december 8th

patrick watson

@ the sinclair


saturday, december 8th

the faint perform

"danse macabre"

trust

icky blossoms

@ the paradise


sunday, december 9th

band of horses

@ house of blues


sunday, december 9th

japandroids

diiv

@ the paradise


wednesday, december 12th

concrete blonde

jim bianco

@ the sinclair


thursday, december 13th

annual boston christmas cavalcade

benefit for the homeless

featuring tons of artists

(see fb event for details)

@ johnny d's


thursday, december 13th

nada surf

eternal summers

@ the paradise


thursday, december 13th

mates of state

in the valley below

@ brighton music hall


friday, december 14th

forgetters (blake from

jawbreaker's band)

& more tba

@ democracy center, harvard square


sunday, december 30th

sufjan stevens

sheila saputo

@ the royale


monday, december 31st

my morning jacket

@ agganis arena


monday, december 31st

deer tick

two gallants

@ the sinclair


monday, january 7th

quicksand

@ the paradise


tuesday, january 8th

hospitality

@ great scott


saturday, january 19th

mission of burma

@ the sinclair


sunday, january 20th

camper van beethoven

cracker

@ the middle east down


sunday, january 20th

soundgarden

@ the orpheum


sunday, january 20th

ra ra riot

@ the paradise


sunday, january 27th

widowspeak

@ great scott


tuesday, january 29th

kathleen edwards

sera cahoone

@ brighton music hall


wednesday, february 13th

yo la tengo

@ the paradise


saturday, march 2nd

unknown mortal orchestra

@ brighton music hall


tuesday, march 12th

tame impala

@ house of blues


thursday, march 14th

jukebox the ghost

matt pond pa

lighthouse and the whaler

@ brighton music hall


tuesday, march 26th

yo la tengo

@ the paradise


wednesday & thursday

april 3rd & 4th

they might be giants

@ the paradise


visit tourfilter for more shows






Friday, March 11, 2005

Friday Afternoon Purge



Time to clear the cache of all the things I wanted to mention while I was writing about Teenbeat...


Set the TiVo: Low will be appearing on Last Call tonight. Behold the power of Sub Pop.


Some proof that wishful blogging can really work...

In my best-of-2004 music post, I wrote about things I was looking forward to in '05, and I half-jokingly hoped for the reappearance of the criminally underrated and long-dormant Minneapolis trio Arcwelder. I love 'em, I miss 'em. So a few days ago I read that Shellac is playing a few dates in April, and opening up the first show is... freakin' Arcwelder. Hell yeah. I figure if I mention that I'm hoping for more Arcwelder shows and maybe some recordings that it might actually happen, right? Consider it wished for.


Fabchannel is, um, fab. High-quality streaming broadcasts of live shows that get archived for later viewing. Not only can you check out stored shows by Low, British Sea Power, Guided By Voices, Nada Surf and tons more, but this afternoon you can watch the Arcade Fire on stage in Amsterdam, and on April 4th they've got a Wedding Present gig scheduled. The site is pretty well-designed, and even has a feature that will send you an email reminder before a broadcast. Nice.


Billy Bragg continues to sell official live recordings through his website, with #4, recorded last year at the Barbican in London, on deck for release 'any day now'. If you're not in a paying mood, you can grab a few tracks from the 33 song set for free on his main page, or get three previous songs right here. (thanks, hold my life)


Jon Spencer (Pussy Galore / Blues Explosion) and Matt Verta-Ray (Speedball Baby) have teamed up to become Heavy Trash. Their self-titled debut is out in April, and you can check out the preview track 'Justine Alright' here.


Well, this is a pretty novel event: Morrissey on the big screen. Yes, his upcoming live DVD 'Who Put The "M" In Manchester?' will debut in select cities around the U.S. on March 28th at 8:30pm, including a showing here in Boston. According to the press release, the screening will include a performance of 'How Soon Is Now?' that's not on the DVD. Tickets are $10 and will be available 'soon', according to this site.


I love opening up my RSS reader and seeing a new post titled "EXCLUSIVE COLIN CLARY INTERVIEW!". Hell, I love seeing Colin's name anywhere online, but this new interview at Heraclitus Sayz is one of the best, no the best, chat with Mr. Clary I've ever read. Lots of insight into his songwriting and attitudes towards creating and recording music. Plus, a pretty comprehensive look at the bands he's in and has been in. Yes, even the Flaming Hetts are mentioned. Hetts rule!


Things that everyone and their blogger brother has already mentioned but I can't not link to...
  • Excellent new Sin City trailer. Not sure I could be more excited for this film.
  • The V for Vendetta website is up.
  • The Watchmen movie site has been updated a bit.
  • Battlestar Galactica podcasts to listen to as you watch new episodes. The best use of podcasting power yet. Sorry, I mean 'blogcasting'. We really need to get the apple out of that buzzword. It ain't just for ipods, people.
  • The new Star Wars Episode III trailer is now available via bittorrent.
  • Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere is being adapted into a 9-issue Vertigo comic series by Mike Carey and Glenn Fabry. It's not out until June, but an 8-page preview will be in next month's issue of Bill Willingham's fantastic Fables series. Speaking of which, the fifth Fables trade paperback collection, 'The Mean Seasons', is just out, and I'm so picking it up after work.

  • This show is already listed on the left, but it's worth pointing out... The Lucksmiths are returning to Boston, playing PA's Lounge in Somerville on May 7th with Ladybug Transistor. Cannot wait to see those Aussies again.


    Boston-based mystery author Robert B. Parker will be making a rare reading appearance at the Brattle Theater on March 24th. Check out Exploit Boston! for details.


    On my teevee screen lately...
  • The small-town football film Friday Night Lights, which was far better than I expected. Rent it just for the perfectly utilized score by Explosions in the Sky. Wow.
  • Wong-Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love. Restrained, deliberately slow paced, and entirely mesmerizing. Pure genius.
  • Carnivale's stellar second season on HBO is building to what may be a second climax, after the already huge payoff a couple episodes back. Anyone who stopped watching after the semi-frustrating unanswered questions of the first season is really missing out on some killer storytelling. I'm completely sucked in.
  • I just finished watching the entire seven season run of Deep Space Nine in syndication on Spike TV, and it's easily become my favorite of all the Trek incarnations. Ron Moore proved why he was the perfect guy to spearhead the revamping of Battlestar Galactica. The last couple seasons of DS9 proved just how lacking Enterprise has been (despite it's near-non-suckness in the past few months... too little, too late). If you've got a TiVo and missed out on DS9, they just started showing it again from the very beginning.

  • Hey, Bostonites... I've got a bunch of extra passes to an April 6th preview of Stephen Chow's new flick Kung Fu Hustle. The guy's nuts, his films are pretty out there, usually damn entertaining. I loved God of Cookery, but missed out on Shaolin Soccer (it's in the Netflix queue), so I'm psyched for this. If you wanna join me, drop a comment.


    Speaking of Netflix, are there any Almanac readers out there who use it and love it? Let me know in the comments, and I'll add you to my Netflix Friends page. I'm always into seeing what other people are renting.


    Wow, has Blogger been biting the big one lately, or what? Terrible performance over the past couple days, intermittent trouble over the past couple months. Not sure if their user growth is outpacing their server space, but yeesh it's been frustrating. My last Teenbeat post was delayed about a day, and the glitches have forced me to never click 'publish' or 'save' without first copying all my post text into a notepad document. Otherwise, I'd have lost way too many words. I think Google needs to throw some of the extra stock-funded cash toward a bunch of new servers, some extra techs, or at least some customer service to keep users updated. The Blogger status page is completely worthless. (perfect irony: as of right now, the status page isn't even up!) I'll be lucky if I'm able to post this entry before I leave work today.


    And last, but very far from least, I'm obliged to do some personal plugging so you can plan your weekend accordingly...

    I'm making my long-awaited (well, by me anyway) return to my seat behind the drum kit on Sunday night, playing in the band Charlene at TTs. It's been a hectic couple of weeks getting ready for this thing while I test my new bandmates' patience learning songs that they already know by heart. I think I'm almost ready, though... just in the nick of time.


    We're on at 10 o'clock, that's Sunday, March 13th, playing just after the wonderful Broken River Prophet (who have a brand new website. arrive early, don't miss 'em!), and just before Hood, on tour from the UK. If you end up going, say hello. I'll be the nervous guy drinking hopefully just the right number of beers.




    featured mp3 download
    neil halstead
    live in cambridge, ma
    on november 14th, 2008
    previously: joy formidable - boston 2011




    recent posts on the 'nac...


    on the nightstand


    boston-area music bloggers


    boston music media


    I Buy Music




    This page is powered by Blogger Pro.