bradley's almanac - a boston-based music blog
navigate the 'nac
almanac mp3 archives almanac shared mp3 archive
live show photo archive boston-area live shots on flickr
'my life or some dream'
original mp3 compilation

free mp3 compilation on club fub
bands i've been in bands i've played drums in
the 'nac faq & contact info
contact info and more
the 'nac on the 'net
the almanac rss feed
subscribe to my rss feed
follow me on twitter the almanac twitter account
become a fan on facebook the 'nac on facebook
the almanac tumblr page bradley's tumblanac
hype machine 'nac page the almanac hype machine page
the almanac soundcloud page the almanac shuffler page
the 'nac songkick gig page the almanac songkick gig page
almanac events on sponty the almanac sponty events page
the almanac last.fm page the almanac last.fm page
listen to 'nac mp3s on shuffler the almanac shuffler page


the almanac archives


search the 'nac

recommended boston area events

tuesday, december 4th

kelly hogan

@ johnny d's


thursday, december 6th

conor oberst

@ converse hall, tremont st.


thursday, december 6th

jason isbell &

the 400 unit

@ the sinclair


friday, december 7th

the weisstronauts 14th

annual holiday jubilee

with guests tsunami of sound

preacher jack, & the derangers

@ the midway cafe, jp


friday, december 7th

caspian

moving mountains

o'brother

@ the sinclair


saturday, december 8th

patrick watson

@ the sinclair


saturday, december 8th

the faint perform

"danse macabre"

trust

icky blossoms

@ the paradise


sunday, december 9th

band of horses

@ house of blues


sunday, december 9th

japandroids

diiv

@ the paradise


wednesday, december 12th

concrete blonde

jim bianco

@ the sinclair


thursday, december 13th

annual boston christmas cavalcade

benefit for the homeless

featuring tons of artists

(see fb event for details)

@ johnny d's


thursday, december 13th

nada surf

eternal summers

@ the paradise


thursday, december 13th

mates of state

in the valley below

@ brighton music hall


friday, december 14th

forgetters (blake from

jawbreaker's band)

& more tba

@ democracy center, harvard square


sunday, december 30th

sufjan stevens

sheila saputo

@ the royale


monday, december 31st

my morning jacket

@ agganis arena


monday, december 31st

deer tick

two gallants

@ the sinclair


monday, january 7th

quicksand

@ the paradise


tuesday, january 8th

hospitality

@ great scott


saturday, january 19th

mission of burma

@ the sinclair


sunday, january 20th

camper van beethoven

cracker

@ the middle east down


sunday, january 20th

soundgarden

@ the orpheum


sunday, january 20th

ra ra riot

@ the paradise


sunday, january 27th

widowspeak

@ great scott


tuesday, january 29th

kathleen edwards

sera cahoone

@ brighton music hall


wednesday, february 13th

yo la tengo

@ the paradise


saturday, march 2nd

unknown mortal orchestra

@ brighton music hall


tuesday, march 12th

tame impala

@ house of blues


thursday, march 14th

jukebox the ghost

matt pond pa

lighthouse and the whaler

@ brighton music hall


tuesday, march 26th

yo la tengo

@ the paradise


wednesday & thursday

april 3rd & 4th

they might be giants

@ the paradise


visit tourfilter for more shows






Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Oh Five



So 2004 certainly smacked us around on the way out the door, with a punch to the gut of a presidential election, then a kick to the axis with the South Asian / East African nightmare. The after-effects of those two far-different disasters will be felt for years...

But this is a brand new one (the WB would call it 'fresh'), so we move on, the hopeful making resolutions. Nothing really changes when the calendar does, just perception, maybe we get some extra motivation. Things come into focus, other things fade for awhile. I'm using it to get myself more organized, to tackle little projects too-long ignored, to dig into details while looking at the larger picture of my life. Taking stock. I feel like this could be a year of both small accomplishments and major changes for me. We'll see what I have to say here in another 360-ish days.

Neil Gaiman eloquently expressed his New Year's wishes for all back in 2001, and he shares them again this year:
"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't to forget make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself."
I'm still working on my year-end lists... but it's not like there's a lack of other ones for you to read, right? The so-called 'blog explosion' of 2004 has insured that. I've read so many like-minded ones that my own are feeling all the more redundant... but in the end I pull them together for myself, to read years down the road. So I'll get 'em done.

In the meantime, there's all this stuff...


So sad to hear this morning that the "father of the graphic novel", Will Eisner, has passed away. In his late eighties and still working. Read the full story at Newsarama. What more can you say about a man that had the comics industry awards named after him while he was still alive? Read Neil Gaiman's words on the man here. A true legend has left us.


Boston-based band The Information are set to release their first full-lengther "Mistakes We Knew We Were Making" later this month, and they've got a couple songs up on their website for preview action. If you signed up for their mailing list last month, you got a link to a third one, "I Lose Control", but even if you missed out, a link to it should be up with their site's imminent relaunch. Keep an eye out.


Rumor has it that the new Wedding Present disc, "Take Fountain", has leaked to certain file-sharing networks (wow, it's so good). Regardless, I'll be outside the record store on February 14th, the morning that sucker's released... and if I had my way, it'd be declared a holiday. Well, one we get off from work, at least.

I appreciate the irony of a pile of Gedge-penned songs appearing in stores on Valentine's Day. Very few can capture relationship-related disappointment better than that man.

Speaking of the Weddoes, the BBC has posted video of their performance at last month's Keep It Peel tribute to dearly departed DJ John Peel, at which they played "Dare", "The Queen of Outer Space", and "What Have I Said Now?". You can also check out video from Damon Albarn & Graham Coxon while you're there. Aces. Hopefully more (PJ Harvey, Belle & Sebastian) will follow.


TV and Tech-heads are all abuzz with the news yesterday that, after a year of waiting, TiVoToGo has at last been released. It allows us TiVo users to archive recorded shows onto our comupters. Or, rather, it will allow us to do that once our TiVo gets updated with the new software. But who knows when that will be?

Just before I heard the news, I was trying to figure out how the hell I was gonna record and save the entire Red Sox World Series Winter that started last night on NESN. Every game from the 1975 World Series against the Reds (I was only 6 years old, so I'm so psyched to see it all), every game from the 1986 Mets series (not sure I want to relive that one), and then all 11 games from last year's defeat of the Yankees and the Cards. No way I can fit all those onto my TiVo, so on Sunday I was thinking "...if only TiVoToGo was ready." 12 hours later and whaddya know? Woulda been nice if they'd waited until their subscriber's machines were auto-updated before announcing it, though, or even until the record-to-DVD function was ready.

So I signed up for the "priority upgrade" on one of our machines. Curious to see if that actually works.


One of my long-overdue little projects is actually already finished. This past weekend I spent a bunch of time revamping and updating my live & rare cd trade list. It'd been a couple years (!) since I'd added everything I've accumulated, and I even went so far as to identify a whole bunch of missing tracklists. Took longer than I'd hoped, and it feels pretty damn good to have it outta the way.


While I was pulling those tracklists together, this came in very handy. Dates and tracklistings for just about every Peel Session since 1992. I hesitate to look through the whole thing... then it'll just give me more things I need to track down.


Field Mice resissues, you say? Sign me up for one of each, please. I've got probably half the songs that're compiled on those three discs, but it's just not enough. And while we're on the subject of Mr. Wratten, I'm loving the due-next-week Trembling Blue Stars disc.


Comic book aficionados take note: Hovy's got a new blog, and it's called Trade Whore. If you don't know what he means by "Trade" (hint: he doesn't mean 'swap'), then you may not be interested. But ya never know.


A mild shock for those who know me (and who understand how little I know about the NFL): My fantasy football team, the Boston Blitzers, actually won my league's Superbowl this past Sunday. I crushed the NYC-based City Slickers for the championship, and took special satisfaction in beating the Texas Hillbillies earlier on.

I certainly didn't expect this, especially after losing the first four games of the year... I'm actually in the thing just so I don't feel left out when my extended family talks about it (my sister, my dad, Amie, my brother-in-law, and his family are all in it, too). The fact that my team won it all just baffles me. And shows that it might all be kinda random.

And how did Amie's Allston City Rockers do? Well, she won $25 for... the lowest point total of the season. And she actually won the first four games of the year. Like I said... I'm not sure there's a whole lotta actual skill involved. I'm just kinda glad the winnings are coming to our house.


I'll end this post with some major congratulations to good friends...


Little Holly arrived on this earth one week ago last night, straight into the open arms of Matt & Mary, her proud parents. Friends (and stalk-ish strangers) can check out her progress over at the Daddypad. Amie and I got to meet the little peanut on New Year's Eve, and she's even cuter in person than she is in pics...


I sure hope she digs those Elizabeth Mitchell albums. Or that they at least put her to sleep.


In other notable congratulatory news... we were lucky enough to attend the wedding of our pals Tom & Katie on New Year's Day. Such a great time, a perfect way to start off the year, among their smiling friends & family. Even without the make-your-own-sundae bar (so good!), it still woulda rocked.



There've never been two people more meant to be together. Congrats, you two.


You may have noticed I set myself up on Flickr. All the cool photo-taking kids are doing it, right? I'll probably be putting most of my digital pics up there, although I wish the free accounts allowed more sets... $60 a year is kinda pricey. I still gotta decide if I'm going to update my own neglected photo pages. Another project added to the list.

(hey, if you tried to email me at all this morning, try again... my regular non-gmail email, and this site, were brought down by an MCI outage. s'all better now.)




featured mp3 download
neil halstead
live in cambridge, ma
on november 14th, 2008
previously: joy formidable - boston 2011




recent posts on the 'nac...


on the nightstand


boston-area music bloggers


boston music media


I Buy Music




This page is powered by Blogger Pro.